Fourth of July is right around the corner, and we've prepared some delicious, guilt-free veggie burgers that you can enjoy.
4th of July Veggie Burgers:
1-2 T Pacific Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
1 small sweet onion, diced
1/2 pound cremini or portobello mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (drained)
1 1/4 cups brown lentils
1 cup gluten-free instant oats
2 tablespoons reduced sodium tamari
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Unbleached parchment paper
Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain Burger Buns (optional, not gluten-free)
Instructions For Burgers:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Sauté onion for about 3 minutes in a large pan on medium. Add mushroom, garlic, black pepper, thyme and tarragon and sauté for 5-7 minutes on medium-high, until mushrooms are tender but not shriveled and overcooked.
3. While mushrooms are cooking, place olives in food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Remove from food processor and set aside in a bowl.
4. Add mushroom mixture to the food processor. Add all other ingredients except for 1/2 cup of the oats. Pulse until well mixed, but not mushy. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 cup oats and chopped olives to the mixture, and combine well. If too gooey, add another half cup of oats.
5. Divide burger mix into 6 equal pieces. Form into patties.
6. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Place patties on sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Take sheet out of the oven, flip burgers, and bake for 12 to 15 more minutes, until nicely browned.
7. Serve on your favorite buns with homemade ketchup, lettuce, and tomato. For a gluten-free option, serve burgers on a bed of greens or gluten-free English muffins.
2-3 large potatoes of any variety (Yukon, Russett, Red)
2-3 large sweet potatoes (yams, garnet, Japanese yams)
¼ c unsweetened applesauce
1 4.5 oz tube of tomato paste (we used Amore brand)
½ T lemon juice
¼ c water (or more for thinner texture)
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
Cut the potatoes into ¼ inch strips and sprinkle with your favorite seasonings. We used nutritional yeast, garlic powder, a little black pepper, and paprika. For even coating, place all seasonings in a large freezer bag, add potatoes, close the bag, and shake until potatoes are evenly coated.
Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes and then flip the fries and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until golden.
While the potatoes are cooking, combine tomato paste, applesauce, garlic powder, lemon juice, and water. Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
6. Take potatoes out of the oven and serve warm with ketchup.